[okfn-discuss] Creating a Universal Content Liberation tool

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 21:43:27 UTC 2016

As alluded to in the post quoted below, I've been working on this for a bit:

https://freeyourstuff.cc/

It's a (fully free/libre) tool for downloading your content
contributions to supported websites (currently Yelp, Amazon.com, IMDB,
TripAdvisor) and, optionally, publishing those contributions under an
open license. To publish on freeyourstuff.cc, you need an account on
the site.

The main tool is a Chrome/Chromium extension [1]. This makes it easy
to download the user's contributions without the need to request/store
credentials. It's limited to text contributions right now, e.g., the
text of all your Yelp reviews.

I'm looking for early alpha-tester feedback (data may be lost during
this test). To install the extension, please follow the instructions
in: https://github.com/eloquence/freeyourstuff.cc

I would also welcome collaborators. If you'd specifically like to add
support for a new site, please see https://freeyourstuff.cc/plugins
for the plugin developer documentation.

Finally, I've tried to make it easy to mirror content liberated with
this tool. Would you be able to run a mirror? If so, please follow the
instructions here: https://freeyourstuff.cc/mirrors

I look forward to your feedback, privately or on the dedicated
listserv for this project:
http://www.freelists.org/list/freeyourstuff

I can also be found on #freeyourstuff on irc.freenode.net. :)

Warmly,

Erik

[1] I moved away from the idea of using Electron because it would lead
to a huge download and would make it harder to manage credentials. I
haven't looked into what it would take to port it to Firefox yet.
Firefox has support for JavaScript extensions similar to Chrome, but
there might be issues with the security model. Worth investigating.