[okfn-discuss] Blog: Diving into the Government GitHub Ecosystem

Emanuel Feld evonfriedland at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 14:41:20 UTC 2016

I dug into the international government GitHub world to better understand how these organizations have been using the platform.

The main chunk focuses on collaboration, membership, and forking networks between the organizations. But the "appendix" also includes some interesting findings re: license choice and how it varies by region, whether government activity is bringing new users to GitHub, the development lifecycle, and more.

Blog: https://emanuelfeld.github.io/blog/2016/04/27/government-github-ecosystem.html <https://emanuelfeld.github.io/blog/2016/04/27/government-github-ecosystem.html>

I'm sure there's more one can glean from the data, so I've included the SQLite DB I compiled, as well as the code to generate one from scratch. Let me know what you find!

Repo+Database: https://github.com/emanuelfeld/government-github <https://github.com/emanuelfeld/government-github>

Emanuel Feld
https://twitter.com/evonfriedland <https://twitter.com/evonfriedland>