[OKFN-EN] Postal Address File campaign

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Thu Aug 15 17:48:49 UTC 2013

You have a heading "postcode licensing", but don't forget....

There is a "postcodes database" called CodePoint which is already open data. This covers some quite common use cases. e.g. find a postcode.  We can do this now! Go forth and build fun things! example: http://pcf.raggedred.net

So I think it's important to use more precise language in relation to this campaign, and be clear about what we're campaigning for. It's called the "Postal Address File" (PAF). This is a database of every postal address in the country (including its postcode)  You can see PAF in action whenever you go to one of these websites which lets you type in your postcode and then pick your full address from the drop-down box.

The campaign message is the same. It's infrastructure. There would be huge economic benefit in allowing PAF data to flow freely to small companies and bedroom coders to do these address look-ups (and all manner of other inventive things). Privatising PAF ownership is a huge missed opportunity. It's also ignoring a european directive which (very sensibly) requires this kind of data to be open.

Harry Wood