[OKFN-EN] Next Ox Open Sci - Crowdcrafting with Feynman's Flowers: Citizen Science Goes Nano

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 18 08:27:41 UTC 2013

Wonderful! With you in spirit.

Also congratulations to Daniel LG (of Crowdcrafting) on being appointed
Shuttleworth Fellow.

I am very interested in using Crowdcrafting (haven't quite worked out what
I want to do but perhaps with Ross Mounce on species or bibliographic
metadata). Daniel explains it can be quite quick - maybe as little as 1
hour - to set up application

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Jenny Molloy <jenny.molloy at okfn.org> wrote:

> Oxford e-Research Centre, 7 Keble Road
> Wed 25 September, 19:00-20:30
>
> Join Cyrus Hirjibehedin from UCL to discuss crowdcrafting experiments and
> future developments in citizen science:
>
> Research in nanotechnology has enabled dramatic advances in our ability to
> process and store data at unprecedented scales. This in turn has driven
> revolutionary new capabilities in information sharing, allowing people from
> all over the world to participate in a single electronic community.
>
> Our goal is to close this loop and enable the general public to contribute
> to the scientific inquiries that drive progress in the technology they
> use. In this discussion, we will review the status of our first Citizen
> Science project called "Feynman's Flowers", which enables participants to
> help us analyze striking images of individual molecules on surfaces.
>
> We will describe its development and first results, and consider future
> directions for growth as well as issues that may be relevant for
> encouraging the adoption of Citizen Science in the broader academic
> research community.
>
> We hope to see you there!

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics