[OKFN-EN] Clarifying datasets for Census - what are your thoughts?

Emma Beer emma.beer at okfn.org
Mon Jun 30 12:11:06 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Hello!  I’m Emma Beer and I’m a new-ish Project Manager at Open Knowledge.
Very much looking forward to being in touch with you going forward on the
Census and Index work.

There are more than half-dozen cities now with almost complete information
on the UK Local Open Data Census. This is really awesome and we appreciate
your contributions very much.

As we recently reviewed current submissions, we realised we have some
challenges with the current selection of dataset list and also in the
descriptions of datasets that we would like to improve and clarify.

We'd like to have your feedback on several changes we propose here:

 *1. Improving the description of "real-time transit"*

The current description of real-time transit is: "Real-time information
about major municipal-run or commissioned transit services (buses, subway,
rail, tram etc). Real-time transit information means things like the
location of actual services (individual buses and trains, etc)"

 We found this description a bit confusing now and most existing
submissions are actually about live departure/arrival information thus we'd
like to change it to:

"Real-time information about major municipal-run or commissioned transit
services (buses, subway, rail, tram etc). Real-time transit information
means things like the actual services's (individual buses and trains,
etc) predicated time to depart from/ arrive at a specific stop"

 *2. Assess "Public Facilities" with respect to the best dataset you can
find.*

 We know the "Public Facilities" is a really big category and many of you
have already suggested many solutions to tackle this problem. We've
listened to your suggestions and would now like to suggest defining a new
rule for the UK Local Open Data Census (and probably also for other
censuses), through an explanatory example like the one below:

Assess this "Public Facilities" with respect to the best dataset you can
find.

For example, if your city publishes school locations in a PDF document,
hospital locations in CSV with a proper open license, and museum locations
in CSV but with no license, we recommend that you answer all questions with
respect to the hospital location dataset only and you can put any comments
regarding the other two datasets in the comments field on the submission
form.

*3. Drop "Food safety inspections" and "Crime Statistics"*

 We found that the Food Standards Agency
<http://ratings.food.gov.uk/open-data/en-GB> actually publishes all UK
cities' food hygiene rating data and similarly, the data.police.uk
publishes all UK cities'/counties' crime statistics. In this case, it's
meaningless to include them in the census anymore. So we'll drop them if
otherwise you have different thoughts.

We would love to hear your thoughts on 1, 2 and 3 or any one of the above.
Let us know what you think!

With thanks,

Emma

--

Emma Beer

Senior Project Manager |Skype: emma.beer  |  tel: +33 0623872754

*Have you bought your tickets <http://2014.okfestival.org/tickets/> to
OKFestival yet? Join us in Berlin in July (15-17)!*

*Empowering through Open Knowledge*

http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>  |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>  |
Newsletter <http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>