[OKFN-EN] Armchair Auditor In Action

Gianfranco Cecconi gianfranco.cecconi at digitalcontraptionsimaginarium.co.uk
Sat Mar 22 09:17:22 UTC 2014

All,
It was great to see so many people interested in using open data to become "armchair auditors" and attending my "Armchair Auditor In Action" lecture at the Open Data Institute yesterday to find out how.

After having debunked the myth that you have to be a techie to even be allowed to take a look at any data, the audience focus and questions centred on:
- the motivation
- the need to promote your work, after putting so much valuable effort in it
- engaging with the data providers
- the whole set of skills required and resources available to train up to a sufficient level
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23odifridays%20AND%20%40giacecco&src=typd .

I also found the opportunity to promote OKFN's Local Open Data Census as the first example of how really anyone with some Internet connection and curiosity can contribute, building on their personal knowledge of the place they live in. It is my experience that many do not feel 'entitled' to work on open data if the subject is outside of their experience / professional domain; in a way, talking about 'local' open data make everybody feel qualified to explore, it is a sort of icebreaker we can use with shy contributors.

The slides are at http://dico.im/armchair-auditor and the recording of the session will soon be published on the ODI SoundCloud page at https://soundcloud.com/theodi . I am very happy to offer the same lecture anywhere it could be useful, and I submitted something similar for the OK Festival 2014 in Berlin this Summer. Just get in touch.

Gianfranco
giacecco at dico.im