[Okfn-fi] About names: OKFN vs. OK Finland/Suomi

Jussi Nissilä jussi.nissila at finnish-institute.org.uk
Thu Jan 19 13:47:12 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I just talked today with Kat from OKFN about the use of the name "Open
Knowledge Foundation". As you might know, the Finnish open knowledge
community is not yet an official chapter of the OKFN (We are still in
the incubation phase and can apply for the official status later).
Therefore we should not use the name "Open Knowledge Foundation" (or the
abbreviations (OFK/OFKN) in events or any other communication documents
in a sense that would suggest that Open Knowledge Foundation is the
official organiser.

Instead, we should use "Open Knowledge Suomi/Finland" or something like
that. So I'm suggesting we leave out the "Foundation" until we are more
official.

This is not a black and white issue, as our website and mailing lists
are under the OKFN domain. Also, of course we can use the OKFN name when
we collaborate with the OKFN in something. However, making some sort of
divition between what the informal community/network of all Finns
interested in open knowledge and the small but growing more official
OKNF-FI organisation does makes sense.

As of yet, we haven't received any formal guidelines regarding this
issue, but this would clarify issues and also decrease risks of creating
any bad will. Kat (cc'd here) will hopefully tell us if there is or will
be any formal guidelines.

Kind regards, Jussi

--
Jussi Nissilä
Programme Director, Society

The Finnish Institute | 35-36 Eagle Street | London WC1R 4AQ
+44 (0) 20 7404 3309

http://www.finnish-institute.org.uk