[OKFN-FR] [euopendata] [ITRE Nov 29th] PSI votes on Open Formats tomorrow at EUparl 10am

Benjamin Ooghe-Tabanou b.ooghe at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 15:07:37 UTC 2012

Hey Ricardo and everyone else,

Sorry for the silence: we did relay the result on twitter as soon as
we knew it but we couldn't do more since we are all busy at our
respective jobs as Regards Citoyens is composed only of volunteers.

Indeed the compromise amendment 18 was adopted, which means machine
readable and platform independant will be required for open formats as
defined for EU PSI (if the text survives the plenary and then the
trialogue parliament/commission/council of course), which is already
quite good, but not enough in our opinion :
the amendment 65 was proposing to specifiy that such formats should be
the result of an open-development process in order to avoid the risk
of having proprietarized or patented standards used. Unfortunately
this one was refused so far.

The next step now is the discussion of the PSI directive revision in
plenary, which should come along the next months, most probably in
March. Then there will be a trialogue with the European commission and
the European council who will give their minds for the process that
will result into the final text, which national parliaments will then
have to transpose.

It will be useful by then to continue to contact members of the
European parliament in order to let them know why this is an important
matter and prepare them to propose new amendments.

We will try and gather all pieces together and make a more detailed
e-mail and/or blog post during the coming days.

Best,

Benjamin for Regards Citoyens