[OKFN-Greece] DBpedia+Spotlight accepted @ Google Summer of Code 2013

Charalampos Bratsas charalampos.bratsas at okfn.org
Thu Apr 11 08:19:49 UTC 2013

Google Summer of Code <http://code.google.com/soc/>(GSoC) is a global
program that offers post-secondary student developers (ages 18 and
older, BSc, MSc, PhD)  stipends to write code for various open source
software projects. Since its inception in 2005, the program has brought
together over 6,000 successful student participants and over 3,000
mentors from over 100 countries worldwide, all for the love of code.

DBpediaparticipated successfully in last’s year GSoC
<http://pablomendes.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/dbpedia-spotlights-first-participation-on-the-google-summer-of-code/>asDBpedia
Spotlight. We were allowed with 4 students (out of a total 37
applications) and managed to enhance DBpedia Spotlight in time
performance, accuracy and extra functionality.  We are thrilled to
announce, that we were accepted again in GSoC 2013. We are participating
with all DBpedia-family products this time - that isDBpedia
<http://wiki.dbpedia.org/About>,DBpedia Spotlight
<https://github.com/dbpedia-spotlight/dbpedia-spotlight/wiki>andDBpedia
Wiktionary <http://dbpedia.org/Wiktionary>- and we hope we share the
same luck, again.

This year we have brand new and exciting ideas
<http://wiki.dbpedia.org/gsoc2013/ideas>so, if you know energetic
students (BSc, MSc, PhD) interested in working with DBpedia, text
processing, and semantics, please encourage them to apply!

If you are a student, the application period starts in 2 weeks (deadline
May 3rd). Judging from last year’s competition, writing a good
application can be a really hard task so you should start preparing from
now. We already created a dedicatedmailing list
<https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dbpedia-gsoc>and a few
warm-up tasks <http://wiki.dbpedia.org/gsoc2013/ideas?v=5o3#h254-3>( to
get you familiar with our technologies) and we will of course be always
available to any questions.

So go ahead, choose your idea,write your application
<http://wiki.dbpedia.org/spotlight/gsoc2012/apply>and impress us;)

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2013/dbpediaspotlight

<http://wiki.dbpedia.org/spotlight/gsoc2012/ideas/>

On behalf of the DBpedia GSoC team,