[okfn-help] Re: [okfn-discuss] Project updates: Open Economics

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Apr 2 09:57:45 BST 2007

nb: cc'ing okfn-help list

Oldak Quill wrote:
> On 29/03/07, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>>    * http://econ.dev.okfn.org/current_value/ -- value of a pound/dollar
>> from 1900 today
>
> What are these conversions based upon? What factors do they take into
> account?

These are straight discount rate conversions. I designed the code so you
can swap in any historical time series you want, see the
get_current_value function at the bottom of:

http://p.knowledgeforge.net/econ/svn/trunk/econ/www/controllers/root.py

As you can see from there I'm currently using a historical UK price
series data (from UK national statistics) which is the second item
listed on:

   http://econ.dev.okfn.org/store/

<http://econ.dev.okfn.org/view?data_url=./data/uk_price_index_1850-2002_annual/data.csv&format=html>

It is available straight from subversion here:

http://p.knowledgeforge.net/econ/svn/trunk/data/uk_price_index_1850-2002_annual/

~rufus