[okfn-help] Open Shakespeare annotation - demo.py

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Sep 24 11:34:46 BST 2007

Robert Polyn wrote:
> Apologies if there is a list that would be more appropriate for this
> question.

No problem. I'm cc'ing okfn-help [1] on this which is our general 'dev'
list  (i.e. that used for those Open Knowledge Foundation projects
without a list of their own!).

> I am attempting to get annotater working on my local machine---no luck.
>
> I downloaded via svn, and receive the following error message when
> running demo.py:
>
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/annotater-0.1-py2.5.egg/annotater/model.py:90:
> DeprecationWarning: formencode.sqlschema is deprecated with no
> replacement; if you are using it please maintain your own copy of this file
>   from formencode import sqlschema

Okay it seems the module being used by annotater has been deprecated
(check cvs commits this happened around February 2007). I've been using
FormEncode 0.6 without a problem so it likes that this must have
happened in FormEncode 0.7. The quick fix is to install FormEncode 0.6
(you probably first have to remove FormEncode 0.7 if you have it installed):

easy_install FormEncode==0.6

In the mean time I've modified the setup.py for annotater so that it
lists this dependency explicitly (next step will be to update the code
to no longer have this dependency ...).

Let me know if this works.

> Also as seen with demo_test.py.
>
> 127.0.0.1:8080 <http://127.0.0.1:8080> loads in my browser, but there is
> no interactive demo content. It appears identical to demo.html, with the
> exception of buttons for 'show' and 'hide' appearing in place of text.
> No message beyond 'START LOGGING' appears in annotater-debug.log.
 >
> I'd love to experiment with annotater and potentially contribute code
> back to your project. I'd love to get this working---any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

Your contributions would be very welcome. I hope the suggestions above
will help get it working.

~rufus