[okfn-help] Free/open file compression/archiving software?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Apr 23 16:12:50 BST 2008

Alain Schremmer wrote:
>> We'd ideally like to mirror the whole source, but 160mb seems quite
>> large (though from the download it looks like the file size is more
>> like 80mb).
>
> I will look into this. The sitx file is 16.5 MB. I used Stuffit only
> because I didn't have the time to find a Free equivalent. Any advice
> here would be MOST appreciated!

I was wondering if anyone on list might be able to help advise Alain as
to what kinds of free/open software is available for file
compression/archiving? It would be interesting to hear about things
which are robust and cross-platform. (We're in the process of archiving
his textbook source on the opentextbook subversion repository.)

Best,

Jonathan