[okfn-help] Open Knowledge button and non-open content?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Mon May 26 20:05:46 BST 2008

[Apologies for re-send, just thought I'd give the message a more
appropriate subject!]

David Price wrote:
> Incidentally, just to double check that we should be displaying the badge so
> proudly: all new original material being added to the site now is being
> submitted under the CC-BY-SA licence; however, some of the material
> submitted prior to our adoption of the CC-BY-SA licence at the start of
> March was submitted under different licence terms and so is not necessarily
> covered by a fully open licence. The licence terms for each element are
> displayed in the detailed view for each element.

David Price has added an Open Knowledge web button to debategraph.org.
They have recently switched the default license to CC-BY-SA with the
following notice:

<quote>
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>. Copyright © 2008
Thoughtgraph Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Registration No: 05843166.
</quote>

David is wondering if its still fair and accurate to display the button.
I think that from its context, its fairly clear that it applies to
material available under the CC-BY-SA license, and not necessarily to
material from prior to the switch which may 'note otherwise'.

What do others think?

Jonathan