[okfn-help] Porting Shakespeare and Milton to Literature

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sat Nov 1 20:37:10 GMT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Iain Emsley
<print.crimes at yatterings.com> wrote:
> Hi Rufus and all,
>
> Just beginning to port the core Shakespeare/Milton code into a
> literature project package to clean it up and make it non-author
> specific but I've just got a quick query before delving too deeply
> into it.

Sorry to not get back to your earlier Iain as I had intended but I
started on some of the refactoring we discussed but hadn't completed
it. In any case, having started I have changed my mind a bit about how
we proceed. In particular, I suggest:

1. For the time being, rather than rename the shakespeare python
package to literature or openlit or ... we just leave it as it is.
This saves going around fixing all of the import shakespeare in the
code (later on we can do this but right now we don't need to).

2. However, we do work to make the shakespeare package a generic open
literature codebase with the shakespeare specific code/data going into
shksprdata and the milton stuff in miltondata. (in the long run we may
want to refactor to have these in their own separate project
directories but for time being we can just keep these inside trunk)

> I'm going through cli.py to remove old commands such as runserver
> since we're using paster serve. Now that we are providing packages of

I've done this now.

> Gutenberg texts, can I safely remove the do_gutenberg and do_moby
> commands since they get texts from Gutenbery (and moby is Shakespeare
> (and I think the Bible) specific)? I'm assuming that these are
> considered redundant but just wanted to double check.

Also done this :) I've also sorted out loading of text metadata. There
is still a lot more work to do on making the 'shakespeare' package
shakespeare independent. I'm yet to get completely clear in my own
mind how we best go here in doing this. In particular we want as
little duplication in shksprdata and miltondata of the code in
shakespeare but at the same time we need some ability to customize.
Any thoughts on how to go here most welcome.

Also we should be clear about who is doing what so we don't end up
with any conflicts (it is also probably best if we both commit pretty
promptly after changes to minimize this risk ...).

Let me know what you think,