[okfn-help] FTP access to OKF hosting?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Apr 1 14:43:08 BST 2009

2009/4/1 Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>:
> Hi Rufus,
>
> I was just wondering if there's any way of getting FTP access to OKF
> hosting - particularly for photos, audio, and other media which we may
> wish to put up - but not necessarily in SVN repo.

Simple answer is no :) We generally don't run ftp on the servers
(though you could use rsync or scp).

However strongly suggest everything should go

  * EITHER: in svn repo
  * OR: on archive.org
  * OR: in someone's flickr stream or the like (though would still be
good to at least cache a copy of original on archive.org in case
flickr account goes away ...)

In last two cases info should still put info in svn: usually in a
relevant README.txt to say where stuff is. (See e.g.
<http://okfn.org/sysadmin/svn/trunk/okcon/2008/audio/README.txt>).

If you really want to have media on m.okfn.org/in svn directory but
not in svn strongly suggest that that media is stored as in point 2/3
and that there is a script or instructions (in README again) saying
how to pull the media from there into the local filesystem. That way
when we move machines the whole thing can be easily redeployed.

Sound good?