[okfn-help] CKAN wishlist

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Apr 6 12:10:58 BST 2009

2009/4/4 Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>:
> Main things it would be useful to have on CKAN:
>
>  * support for listing multiple files
>    * basically multiple download links with some optional metadata
> (file name, type, size, description,...)

This is not hard to implement. Question is:

  * Will this get used?
  * What is the purpose of this? (Keep in mind distinction between
discovery and installation ...)
    * For installation we need an additional tool like datapkg

Most existing 'package' systems for software generally have a single
download url. This is normally then a payload format which contains
additional metadata such as list of files. Do we want CKAN to contain
all that info or just have "enough" info with additional info stored
in the package itself.

>    * presume file extension and possibly size could be parsed automatically?

Yes

>  * is it possible to generate rss feeds based on certain tags,
> showing all most recent entries with that tag? (e.g. 'uk')

Will do. Though do we want "rss" feed or just: "give me the ten
packages tagged with this value ..."

>  * how difficult do you think it would be to make a browser
> bookmarklet - as we've previously discussed? Having a one click way to
> bring up the fields from any URL would be *really* useful in terms of
> fast, on the fly, registration and editing!

Bookmarklet is probably pretty simple. First thing is for me to change
interface so name can be set in main edit page. Will do this asap.