[okfn-help] Open Shakespeare edition

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri Aug 21 13:48:38 BST 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Rufus Pollock<rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> 2009/8/21 Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>:
>> Hi Rufus,
>>
>> I wondered where we were up to with making an edition of Shakespeare's works?
>
> We are still in progress. I have been working with some university
> students on introductions and commentaries.
>
> <http://wiki.okfn.org/p/Open_Shakespeare>

Great. Does this mean that no-one is currently working on the covers?

>> I've just found out that my friend Adam is interested in producing
>> editions of particular works of Shakespeare. He's been experimenting
>> with book binding and makes photomontage images. In particular he's
>> interested in making cover designs for particular works (Hamlet, King
>> Lear, ...).
>
> Wow, this is great. Would he be interested in collaborating here?

Yes - I just spoke to him and he would! Hooray!

>> He has been formatting the texts manually, until learning that you are
>> working on something to produce nice PDF versions using a script. I
>> wish I had known! Is it possible to produce something A5 or A6 using
>> your script?
>
> It is currently set up to render A5. Other size are fairly
> straightforward depending on the latex support. A current example of
> what we can produce is at:
>
> <http://www.openshakespeare.org/images/twelfth_night-v0.2.pdf>
>
>> Perhaps we could work with him?
>
> Definitely.

In turns of next steps, he'll go ahead and start doing cover designs
and perhaps you can liaise re: how this fits with layout, style, etc.
and putting designs in LaTeX.

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator