[okfn-help] International development data on CKAN

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Wed Dec 9 12:14:34 GMT 2009

Ben,

I'd be interested in what Rufus has to say on this, because this is
quite fundamental to where CKAN is going, but here are my thoughts.

The idea of the metadata in CKAN is to help users find datasets and to
help linking of datasets. I think many of the fields you have here are
useful in going into CKAN, and perhaps others are best left associated
with the data. Here are some examples, based on your example dataset.

I can envision someone finding it because they were looking for some
data to do with development finance, or to do with Cambodia, or just
recent data, for example.

Browsing metadata in CKAN they might see the opportunity to examine
the link between ODA events in Cambodia and political events and
propose plotting amount of money in ODA against time and include
events in Cambodia from Microfacts. So in CKAN it is useful to see the
temporal coverage of the ODA data, that the fields contain budget
information (rather than just a vague description) and that the can be
got at in XML (not something difficult like PDF) and that the license
is compatible with Microfacts.

You have fields to do with provenance and a lot of
development-specific information, which is great, but not the sort of
thing that CKAN is best at indexing. I can see someone wanting to find
all datasets which are 'humanitarian aid' but not 'development aid' or
'compliant with DAC standards', which can all be tagged and textually
searched in CKAN, but I expect you would want a custom development
search for these fields.

If my assumptions are reasonable then it suggests to me that you
should have your customised IDD  database / website, with each record
having the key points synced into a CKAN record. Does anyone else want
to comment?

David