[okfn-help] Javascript annotation system

Nick Stenning nick at whiteink.com
Thu Jul 23 20:35:15 BST 2009

Just an ever-so-brief followup on this. It turns out that properly
"highlighting" the user's selection is not trivial, considering that
it can and often does cross DOM element boundaries. Nonetheless, the
code at the aforementioned repository now does that, and has a
slightly sparklier UI to go with it.

At the moment, I don't *think* there's any selection you can give it
which will make it barf -- that is you should be able to highlight
literally anything, across as many elements as you please, and when
you click on the little note icon, the text should be highlighted.

That said, I'm almost certainly wrong and would welcome anyone who
checked out the code, fired up index.html in their browser (anything
relatively new that isn't IE should be ok at the moment) and clicked
about a bit. If it doesn't work, please let me know.

Cheers,
Nick