[okfn-help] Xapian, apache and permissions

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Jun 22 12:54:35 BST 2009

End of last week I switched openshakespeare.org to run via modpython
rather than via http proxy to paster.

This seems to have broken the search system (based on xapian) as we
now get a 500 on any search. Checking the logs I find:

Error - <type 'exceptions.OSError'>: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'searchindex'\n

Where searchindex is the directory with the xapian index in it. I've
made www-data the owner of this directory (and made sure it has access
to parents but no joy). Anyone have any ideas what I need to do to fix
this?