[okfn-help] backup, monitoring, etc

James Casbon casbon at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 18:27:46 GMT 2009

2009/11/4 Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>:
> 2009/11/4 James Casbon <casbon at gmail.com>:
>> For monitoring, I want to get munin back running -
>> http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/tasks/ticket/133
>> Munin is running but munin.okfn,org is not resolving.  Who has the DNS details?
>
> DNS for all our stuff is run off http://www.everydns.net/ -- see
> <http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/tasks/wiki/SystemOrganization#DNS>
>
>> Also, I think it is worth discussing what is happening for backup.
>>
>> We now have a few scripts running on eu0 that can back things up
>> easily enough. Look at /etc/cron.daily/daily_backup_snapshot_eu1.  You
>> can adjust the hostname, target directory and begin backing up another
>> host.

Now munin is back, we can see the effect of the backups on eu0 (about 6am):
http://munin.okfn.org/okfn.org/eu0.okfn.org-cpu.html

Now you can see there is a shed load of iowait going on there when the
backup happens.  But interestingly there is a lot of iowait all the
time - or more than I have seen with other hosts.

Is this host running off tape or something?  Anyway I really don't
think it is an appropriate backup host!
Is it possible there is some disk misconfiguration going on here?

>> One final thing is that the svn admin things need some documentation.
>> Currently the us1:/home/okfn/svn-okfn repo complains about bad keys so
>> I cannot commit. But I need to know so more about the whole setup
>> here.  My quick guess at how it should be done is that you maintain a
>> patch queue on top of the debian vanilla config, with branches per
>> host.   However, a policy based approach is probably better here.
>
> I think storing /etc/ stuff and storing generals scripts is probably
> to be separated. Also some of /etc/ is consistent across machines will
> some is not. Views on best practice here v. welcome.

We probably need a different thread for this discussion.