[okfn-help] further to load on us0

Martin Keegan martin at no.ucant.org
Wed Oct 7 15:59:24 BST 2009

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, James Casbon wrote:

> 2009/10/7 Martin Keegan <martin at no.ucant.org>:
> >
> > Today (being Wednesday 7 Oct), check out the changed memory usage profile
> > visible after 11am when I made the config change (the results may not be
> > so clearly visible after a few hours):
>
> That looks a lot better.  So what was the issue?

There is some memory leak (or equivalent behaviour) in something loaded in
the Apache address space, e.g., some data being accumulated in some python
code. I set a limit on the number of requests any worker process may
handle. (This necessitated rebalancing the load by changing the maximum
thread count and the total number of threads and processes). Once the
limit is reached, the process terminates, freeing the memory, and gets
replaced with a fresh instance.

There is still more work to do, but at least the responsiveness of the
machine is back to tolerable.

Mk