[okfn-help] CKAN suggestions

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Oct 15 16:43:32 BST 2009

2009/10/13 Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>:
> Various suggestions for various possible improvements to CKAN/Is It Open?:
>
> ## CKAN
>
>  * Ability to add multiple packages to a group in one go (e.g. with
> 'add' link which makes drop down menu appear - so can add one after
> another - then submit simultaneously)

Very reasonable - and should not be too hard to do (bit of javascript
and support at the backend ...)

>  * Guidance on what to put in 'author' and 'maintainer' fields (e.g.
> name? URL?)

I don't think we have to prescribe one or the other.

>  * Alphabetical listing of packages associated with group (so can
> easily look up whether a given package is already listed - otherwise
> as lists get bigger becomes difficult to see what is already there)

Yes, and want this for tags too -- this involves working out how to
order joins in sqlalchemy (shouldn't be too hard).

> ## Is It Open?
>
>  * Better search/sort for Is It Open? (At moment anyone browsing Is
> It Open? finds lots of test requests...)

They've been deleted and it's now ordered by most recent first. I
think date of request should probably be displayed with the request.

>  * Basic disclaimer about not abusing email addresses, etc.

Essential!

>  * Info on format of email address (e.g. "Name" <email at address.com>,
> or just email at address.com, etc.)

Either will do I think, but we can give an example ...