[okfn-help] KForge and SQLite

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Sat Oct 17 11:57:52 BST 2009

Marvelously enough, I got KForge working with SQLite!

It's still not quite right because, at least by default with SQLobject,
SQLite doesn't increment its index when an object is created and
immediately purged (the next object unfortunately gets the same id).
This causes problems with the service directories being created after
the id, which was hoped to be unique. But that's easy to remedy: The
service files can be moved to a trash folder when the service is purged.
That way, we don't risk deleting critical data, and can maintain a
fresher project data folder.

So I was thinking, should this be the default? It's relatively demanding
to require a PostgreSQL or MySQL user and database. The difference is
probably performance, which would only matter for a larger service. Most
KForge services will be small.

As Trac can run happily off SQLite, why not KForge? I'm thinking of
making kforgevirtualenv.py do this by default. Any thoughts?

John.