[okfn-help] vdm versus Clio

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Aug 3 18:35:37 BST 2010

Hi there,

[I previously mailed this to the info@ address. Jonathan Gray wrote
back I'd probably get more feedback here on okfn-help, so here I am]

I've been looking at the vdm library to see whether it would be
applicable to my projects. I created a library called Clio:

http://packages.python.org/clio/

This tries to do some of the same things as vdm does, except that I
think vdm probably uses better architecture. So I'm considering
whether I should dump Clio and shift to vdm for my projects.

In the use cases for vdm, I'm particularly interested in use case 9
listed, support for pending updates. This is what Clio's been designed
to do. Recovering historical revisions is interesting too, especially
the auditing aspect of it, but the primary use case is to let someone
edit a database (through a web UI typically), adding, removing and
editing records, and then this person, or someone else, can then later
publish these changes, so that they become available for the consumers
of this database.