[okfn-help] Fwd: dropping things on the floor / where even is the floor?

William Waites william.waites at okfn.org
Mon Aug 30 22:52:26 BST 2010

 On 10-08-30 22:16, Jo Walsh wrote:
> http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/tasks/ticket/474 (a password-protected
> pad that shouldn't be)

I don;t know much about the piratepads but did have this
happen once or twice when working on a pad with Rufus,
and he had to set it to public so that I could see it. There
must be an administrative knob that the creator of the
pad can use to do this.

This should be better documented.

> http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/tasks/ticket/473 (a broken wiki template)

Fixed. Was just a permission problem in the filesystem,
no idea how it got that way.

> Looking at http://bit.ly/apvEWm it strikes me that many tasks are
> "awaiting triage", some tasks are large and open-ended, actually just
> working through what is on the trac needs a fair bit of focus.

I don;t think anybody in particular gets notified when a
new ticket is created. Not sure how many have feeds set
up in their RSS reader (and if they have the *right* feeds
set up so new tickets get seen).

Better integration of the many tracs and the mailing lists
might help to some extent.

Most of the people who are in a position to help with this
sort of thing already have a lot on their plates.

> It all makes me wonder if OKF should be investing in a bit of paid
> sysadmin time, to allow volunteers to focus on what they want to do.

That isn't a terrible idea. I've suggested before talking to
the http://koumbit.org/ folks as clueful, disinterested
third parties that might be interested to help keep the
trains running on time.

Otherwise judicious use of the squeaky wheel tactic
might be the most effective way to get things done.

-w

--
William Waites           <william.waites at okfn.org>
Mob: +44 789 798 9965    Open Knowledge Foundation

RDF Indexing, Clustering and Inferencing in Python
		http://ordf.org/