[okfn-help] Patching datasets in CKAN?

Antti Poikola antti.poikola at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 11:52:11 GMT 2010

In CKAN is there a mechanism of "patching" data between the different
instances of CKAN?

I got the idea from here:

If you improve a piece of code someone else wrote, you can automatically
generate the "difference" between the original and your revised version,
send that difference (called a "patch") to the original author, who can
then evaluate it and if they like it merge it automatically with their
code (even if they've made their own non-overlapping changes in the
meantime). That's patching in software. Now what happens if you improve
pages you downloaded from Wikipedia? I guess you go to the site and try
typing them in - there's no way I see to submit something like a patch.
And without a patching mechanism, there's no basis for distributed
development of the data, like happens with free software.

http://datacommoners.blogspot.com/2009/04/big-data.html

-Jogi