[okfn-help] list setup

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Feb 9 17:47:54 GMT 2010

On 9 February 2010 17:37, James Casbon <casbon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 February 2010 17:04, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>> On 9 February 2010 16:02, James Casbon <casbon at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Ok, I am getting thoroughly p**sed at the number of bounce
>>> notifications I am getting.  This is configurable by list managers and
>>> therefore there is no need for this trash.
>>>
>>> Who has permission to properly configure mailman notifications?
>>
>> You do :)  -- as do I (mailman admin password is standard one)! If you
>> can tell me what config vars you want set differently please say and
>> I/we can implement them -- i have already gone through and tried to
>> set defaults to get rid of as much stuff as possible.
>
> OK I think this is happening - spams are being sent to the list
> owners, and bounced.  These bounce emails are then delivered to
> mailman-bounces.

I'm not sure about this -- mails to the list from non-members are
discarded for precisely this reason. I think it must be more subtle!

I think it is because: list-admin at okfn ... -> sysadmin@ ...

> Is spam filtering enabled on lists.okfn.org? The relevant part of the
> config seems to be missing.
> This guy seems to have a method for the list owners:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-October/058617.html

No we're not because:

a) only list members can post to the list (so spam is rarely a problem
for list members)
b) most people have good spam stuff on their own system courtesy of their MTA
c) spamasassin has been a PITA to set up (this was 3 years ago) and
has a tendency to use lots lots of resources ...

Open Knowledge Foundation