[okfn-help] list setup

James Casbon casbon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 12:36:28 GMT 2010

On 9 February 2010 21:39, James Casbon <casbon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 February 2010 17:47, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

>>> OK I think this is happening - spams are being sent to the list
>>> owners, and bounced.  These bounce emails are then delivered to
>>> mailman-bounces.
>>
>> I'm not sure about this -- mails to the list from non-members are
>> discarded for precisely this reason. I think it must be more subtle!
>
> But the spams are going to the list *owners* and then being bounced.

This is a joke 40 emails today from google, yahoo etc announcing that
they have bounced a message due to it being spam - this kind of
backscatter is not on.  The fact that it is spam does not need to be
sent to me.

Is the MTA set up to observe RBLs?
Is the MTA set up to filter spam?

Mailman is not part of this problem really.  Can we just discard the
mailman-bounces emails?

Either we fix this or you remove me from that list.

James