[okfn-help] still problems with de.ckan.net translation

Benoit Boissinot bboissin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 13:29:31 GMT 2010

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 01:08:25PM +0000, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> On 20 February 2010 12:57, Daniel Dietrich <daniel.dietrich at okfn.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Sorry - it's me again. I still have troubles getting my German translation for de.ckan.net right. This both on my local instal and on de.ckan.net
> >
> > local:
> > 1. I pulled the new stuff from repository
> > 2. I translated ckan/i18n/de/LC_MESSAGES/ckan.mo

You should only touch the .po, right?

> > 3. python setup.py update_catalog - worked fine
> > 4. python setup.py compile_catalog --locale de gives me this message:
> >
> > (pyenv-ckan)ddie at deep:$python setup.py compile_catalog --locale de
> > running compile_catalog
> > 311 of 315 messages (98%) translated in 'ckan/i18n/de/LC_MESSAGES/ckan.po'
> > error: ckan/i18n/de/LC_MESSAGES/ckan.po:193: placeholders are incompatible
> > compiling catalog 'ckan/i18n/de/LC_MESSAGES/ckan.po' to 'ckan/i18n/de/LC_MESSAGES/ckan.mo'

I fixed it (with some reverts to make stuff work) here:
http://bitbucket.org/bboissin/ckan-i18n-fr/

Rufus, please pull.

> > The result is, that on my local installation there are still some parts in English. Like the
> >
> > "CKAN is a registry of open data and content packages. CKAN makes it easy to find, share and reuse open content and data, especially in ways that are machine automatable."
>
> Yes, this is one string on the front page that got updated since you
> started work. It would be worth looking for stuff like this in
> ckan.po, perhaps deleting it and then running update_catalog again.

No it's actually due to my "experiments" with genshi to always get long
strings to translate (and not cut by tags). I reverted those.

I'll work on a separate clone to prepare this for the new release of
genshi.

Daniel, this will impact you when this happens. But in the end this is
better for everybody:

- for example: "See <a>here<a>.", won't be broken into two strings ("See"
  and "here"), it will show as "See [1:here]" which is a lot nicer to
  translate (especially if you have to move part of the sentence
  around).
- we'll get proper pluralization (one package vs. 2 packages)

Cheers,

Benoit
--
:wq