[okfn-help] Public Data Catalog Priorities and Demand

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Thu Jan 7 20:18:21 GMT 2010

Here's what it looks like in the URL searching for two tags:
http://ckan.net/package/search?q=tags:postcode+tags:uk

It would be consistent for us to add tag searching in this way. e.g.:
http://ckan.net/tag/search?q=postcode+uk

That would be similar to the delicious case you mention. If we're
trying to encourage people to browse in this way then I suggest we do
it graphically with tag trees. We are already poised to add one to the
package browse page. We could also add it to the search results page
too if people think that is going to be useful?

David

2010/1/7 Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>:
> You can already do this via search: e.g. just do tags: xxx yyy but
> don't have nice url structure for it as yet. How much value in having
> the nicer url structure?
>
> Rufus
>
> 2009/12/21 Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>:
>> Excellent - this looks great. I guess one of the main features I'd
>> really like to see in CKAN is one that Delicious currently has, which
>> allows you to query for, e.g. 'open data':
>>
>>  http://delicious.com/tag/opendata
>>
>> Then add 'statistics':
>>
>>  http://delicious.com/tag/opendata+statistics
>>
>> Then add 'uk':
>>
>>  http://delicious.com/tag/opendata+statistics+uk
>>
>> I think this is a really nice way of browsing, allowing for
>> serendipitous discovery (with suggestions of related tags on the right
>> hand side) as well as a simple URL structure.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Richard Cyganiak <richard at cyganiak.de> wrote:
>>> Hi Jonathan,

>>> Small aside: We have a simple faceted browser over the data.gov catalog,
>>> based on Simile Exhibit. It might give you a general idea of the experience
>>> of faceted browsing over a data catalog. It's here:
>>>
>>> http://lab.linkeddata.deri.ie/data.gov/
>>>
>>> Back to lurk mode...
>>>
>>> Richard
>>>

>>> --
>>> Linked Data Technologist • Linked Data Research Centre
>>> Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI), NUI Galway, Ireland
>>> http://linkeddata.deri.ie/
>>> skype:richard.cyganiak