[okfn-help] Introduction to the list

Antti Poikola antti.poikola at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 13:31:37 GMT 2010

Hello all CKAN developers,

I am new to this list, Antti Poikola from Finland.

Currently in Finland we have two datakatalog projects slowly but
steadily moving on and personally I believe having opportunity to some
extent influence both of them.

One is the national more official datacatalog where all the entries are
validated by people working for the government... this will appear
somewhere in the national portal called suomi.fi (Suomi is finnish and
means Finland)

Second one is a more developer- and community oriented catalog
opengov.fi where anyone may add entries and details, this will not be
restricted to "Public Sector Information", but all usefull resources
from the public, private and third sector are wellcome. Other difference
to the official catalog is that here could be identified also data
sources that are not yet open, but should be.

Third one might come later as the regional catalog for the Helsinki
region (14 independent municipalities), but this is so far only a vague
idea.

The different catalog projects have their needs, but in the end of the
day all catalogs should work technically togeather so that there is no
need for manual copy-paste. Basically the entries in official catalog #1
are a subset of entries in the developer community catalog #2. I have
recommended CKAN for the developers of #1 and #2 but haven't got any
stratight answers. As I am not a developer myself I feel that I would
need stronger tools for communication. I think that I sort of understand
what CKAN is, but it seems that I am not capable to communicate it further.

Basically the questions (and my current understanding) are:

1. What is CKAN
(some sort of standard / software backbone to build datacatalogs that
are interoperable. In my understanding with CKAN you get also the very
basic UI for browsing the entries etc, but you can use CKAN also behind
the scenes and have your custom interface)

2: Why CKAN and what are the other choises/options that should be
benchmarked
(CKAN is one approach promoted for wider use by the open knowledge
foundation. The other choise is to build your own standalone system "out
of your head" in which case it is not directly interoperable with any
other data catalog. On the other hand CKAN is not yet any technology or
de facto standard and there are not so many other catalogs that operate
with CKAN. What is still unclear for me is that is it possible to make
your own catalog and only a CKAN-compatible interface which enables the
data transfer between the catalogs?)

3: What it actually means if one decides to use CKAN in her own catalog
project?
(It is propably quite straight forward to deploy a new instance of CKAN
from the open source codebase, but in the case of using CKAN as the
backbone in other system, or just building CKAN compatible interfaces, I
have no idea...)

I have one request for you, the CKAN developers, could you please
examine the codebase of opengov.x and evaluate the possibilities to
unite opengov with CKAN. I have tried this otherway round to get the
developers here exited about CKAN and evaluate that code, but
unfortunately I am not in the position of forcing them to do that. In
order to get the things moving I decided to try this approach. In my
mind opengov could be the Django based user Interface while CKAN would
work as the python based core of the system. The ideology behing
opengov.x is that the developer community of any country or city could
easily establish their light weight datacatalog in case if the official
catalog is missing. Other main objective is to build a "home" for the
developer community where the ideas of possible applications, data needs
etc. could be discussed.

Best regards,
Antti Poikola