[okfn-help] CKAN user requirements half-day?

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Fri Jan 15 16:52:42 GMT 2010

Hi Antti and others

I think this is really a great idea and I am happy to join / help.

On 14.01.2010, at 19:43, Antti Poikola wrote:

> Hi Jonathan and others,
>
> I will forward this email to the opengov_data developer list: opengov_data at googlegroups.com
>
> Jussi Arpalahti made recently a quick review on the CKAN codebase and hopefully shares his thoughts with you guys.
>
> Basically it seems that opengov is so far much lighter and simpler implementation that CKAN. CKAN is more datawarehouse oriented where the opnegov is more usercommunity and UI oriented, though, not yet fully implemented. In my opinion replicating things in two projects (developing community approach, discussion and UI in CKAN or developing advanced data directory related features in opengov) should be avoided if possible. On the other hand putting two systems in one stack is not allways so straight forward.
>
> Of course this question goes beyond technology and the vision for good data catalogues should be developed further. In Finland we have some financial backing for developing the opengov further and I might be able to get some more for something useful, but before that I would like to push more the development of "international data catalogue builder community".
>
> So I suggest that (in this order):
>
> 1. Jussi shares his questions and thoughts for this group.
>
> 2. One of the CKAN developers takes a quick look at the opengov code base: http://code.google.com/p/opengov-catalog/
>
> 3. Before going to wiki, let's have an 1,5 hour data catalogue visioning session at Skype+Etherpad. After points 1 and 2, if there is interest for this point 3, I can coordinate the scheduling.

I agree with the steps proposed and looking forward to jump in at step 3.

Best greetings
Daniel

> -Jogi
>

> Jonathan Gray wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Several people interested in using CKAN as a registry of open
>> (government) data in their country have expressed an interest in
>> having either a new front end, a different 'theme' and/or more user
>> features.
>>
>> Antti Poikola (Finland), Daniel Dietrich (Germany) and James Burke
>> (Netherlands) are going to take a lead in suggesting improvements and
>> features that they would like to see, as well as in comparing it to
>> other similar sites/projects. Perhaps as David Eaves (Canada) is also
>> thinking about this, he might like to join in too?
>>
>> I suggest that Antti, Daniel, James and David (if he is interested),
>> add their ideas and suggestions to the OKF wiki:
>>
>>  http://wiki.okfn.org/ckan/ideas
>>
>> Perhaps, once they have done this, we can then schedule in a meeting
>> with core CKAN developers/designers to talk about this. E.g. sometime
>> in February? Also several people have suggested the possibility of
>> finding other designers/developers (Python) to help out with this in
>> respective countries...

We are starting a little working group here at opendata network in Germany to discus what features, functionalities, etc we would like to see for a german data.gov.de - we also might find some coding recourses for coding / design.