[okfn-help] Puzzled by CKAN groups

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Sat Jan 16 14:52:24 GMT 2010

dear all,

I got an OpenID so I can finally log into CKAN rather than editing it by
IP. http://metazool.myopenid.com/

I am a bit confused by CKAN groups - in theory a great feature.
I don't see a "join the group" option when looking at, say,
http://ckan.net/group/geodata

I am not sure what having packages assigned to a group really buys, over
focusing a group on a tag. A way to filter out the highest-quality
entries or focus on packages with high user demand / ratings - this is
something Jo Cook of OSGeo was suggesting as a need, there are a few
very widely reused packages.

jo