[okfn-help] vdm: pending state

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Oct 15 10:58:34 BST 2010

Hi there,

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:

> * there is a tool/system that can extract be pointed to a particular
> revision and produce a "non-pending" version of the database for that
> revision. I.e. all pending-deleted records are gone, pending-new
> records are also gone, and pending-update records are the value of the
> most recent revision that was not pending-update before then. I think
> it's okay if we can generate this off-line; it doesn't need to be
> maintained in the same database. It would be *nice* if we could
> maintain this information on the fly though.

The description isn't correct. Instead such a tool would extract:

* all non-pending records

* all pending-delete records (they are *not* yet deleted)

It wouldn't extract:

* all pending-new records

And for the pending-update records it would use a special procedure of
looking up the last non-pending version of those records and include
those.

Regards,

Martijn