[okfn-help] EBS Backup snapshotting and new micro instance

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Oct 27 16:11:08 BST 2010

Hi All,

I've just done some improvements to our AWS scripts
<http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/sysadmin/file/056ee01403fb/aws/manage.py>

* add snapshot_backup_volumes command
* alter create_instance and create_volume commands to write info servers.js
* support for t1.micro instances

## Backup Snapshots

I've just run the snapshot script on the eu cluster of servers and it
seems to have worked nicely which means that all that remains to
complete <http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/tasks/ticket/498> (Snapshot
EBS backup volumes to S3 on a regular basis) is to set up a cron job
to do this (not entirely trivial as you need boto plus the key pair
info ...)

## eu9.okfn.org

I've also set up a new t1.micro instance as eu9.okfn.org (ubuntu lucid
64 bit). I've added  usual sysadmins to ubuntu user (but have not set
up okfn user yet).

I propose, going forward, that we use this new instance for what I
would term: "low-grade" production services (with dbs living on our db
server - eu5).

Specifically for my part I plan for weavinghistory.org,
openshakespeare.org and opencorrespondence.org to move there.