[okfn-help] [okfn-discuss] More on Google Maps

Maurizio Napolitano napo at fbk.eu
Sat Apr 23 21:58:50 BST 2011

>>> i checked the code and i can do this without big problems. I
>>> substituted the gmaps code and i implemented everything with
>>> openlayers using openstreetmap as background.
>>
>> <http://de.straba.us/okfn-dashboard/>
>
> Great! I am looking for something similar for
> http://opengovernmentdata.org/data/map/
>
> Is there a way we could easily create a map with with openlayers?
> Right now the information is gathered in a google goc at
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ams8fpz2_77XdG8tZ2ZrUGoybnlpU0NGTjhiUEpQdVE&hl=en_GB&authkey=CLDY7sYM#gid=1

Hi!

was offline.
I'm back home now.
thanks for the compliments but we can do better:)
About yout problem:
in the web page I see a KML file.
(i do this test:
http://maps.google.it/?q=http://opengovernmentdata.org/files/2011/03/ogdmap.kml

It's very easy show KML files in OpenLayers KML
Look this examples
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/sundials.html
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/kml-layer.html

I hope to spend time in these days to write the code, but I am equally
sure that you solve the problem before me
(I hope you can understand my bad english)

> 3 questions:
>
> 1. what is the easiest way to create a file (and what file format to
> use?) from the google doc? and
i think a good way is extract the file in csv format by using the
tabulation like separator

> 2. how to feat it into an osm map like you did?

here is a example with a txt file
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/markersTextLayer.html
and here the relative file displayed
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/textfile.txt

but use a wms source with a WGS84 projection
the map service of osm use the "google mercator projection", so you need
a little tip to transform the coordinates in this projection.

you can study the code in this example
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/sundials-spherical-mercator.html
for a solution

If you're new to these concepts, it all seems difficult, but I can
assure you it is not so

> I would really appreciate any help with this since I think it would
> be great to use OSM instead of google maps.
>
> All the best Daniel

These days I'll write a code for you, but I'm sure you will do before me:)

ciao