[okfn-help] Using premium (non-open) themes for OKFN wordpress installs

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Mon Mar 21 12:11:15 GMT 2011

Hi all,

On 21.03.2011, at 12:51, Rufus Pollock wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I notice we've recently used some premium themes for various OKFN
> wordpress sites. While I understand their attraction (often very cheap
> and very nice) they are, I believe, usually non-open.
>
> Both for our own benefit going forward, and because of our being the
> Open Knowledge Foundation I think we probably shouldn't use premium WP
> themes (unless they are open).

Do you mean open as in the open definition?

Or 'open' in a way that would allow us to edit it and possibly use it for more than one site?

See for example doesn't seems to be very open:
http://themeforest.net/wiki/buying/howto-buying/licensing/

> What do people think?

I see the point - the problem is as you mentioned above: premium themes are not expensive and good looking. It is hard to find non-premium themes that are as good looking.

The result will be to not have these shiny websites - but thats OK with me.

Regards
Daniel