[okfn-help] Rules + website for Open Data Challenge

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Thu Mar 24 12:08:41 GMT 2011

Some key ideas for rules:

  * Pan-European angle is strongly encouraged
  * Entries for apps must come from team which contains
groups/individuals from at least 2 EU member states
  * Repurposed apps are allowed (i.e. an app that exists for London
can be expanded to work for Paris + Torino and entered)
  * Apps must be open source
  * Core data must be freely reusable and derived data must be openly licensed

Any more ideas? These are just a few bits which may stand out. I will
also review rules from our list here:

http://opengovernmentdata.org/competitions

We're talking to people at Open Cities about the website. The key
thing will be to have something *really* simple (i.e. *really, really*
simple) which has:

  * a big countdown for entries somewhere near the top ('X days left!')
  * a piece of text explaining the basic 'what' and 'why' of the
competition - as parsimonious as possible
  * some rules - preferably simple and entertaining to read
  * entry forms for 'ideas', 'apps' and 'visualisations'
  * drop down menu to have material in multiple languages

All comments welcome. We're going to be fixing all of this down in
next couple of weeks or so.

All the best,

Jonathan

--