[okfn-help] [psi-workers] [open-government] [euopendata] Rules + website for Open Data Challenge

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Sat Mar 26 18:15:32 GMT 2011

Thanks very much to everyone for your input! I'll create a draft set
of rules and a mock up of the website ASAP.

Also do people think the website needs to be in multiple languages? I
assumed that this would be really valuable but last week I spoke to
App Circus [1] who ran 30 competitions all over the world last year,
and who said that they always have all of their sites in English and
that this has never been a problem. Also if the site is in multiple
languages, people will submit ideas and supporting material in
multiple languages, which will need to be translated in order to be
judged.

What do people think? I've created a poll on "Should the Open Data
Challenge website be in multiple languages?" here:

http://www.doodle.com/zqkqvixzq5ccvtv2

It would be great if you could vote on the link above if you have an
opinion about this!

To summarise..

Pros:
  * Better coverage in more countries
  * In spirit of pan-European event

Cons:
  * This would probably encourage submissions in multiple languages -
which could be a nightmare to process - especially given the time
frame. We'd need a team of volunteer translators.
  * No existing apps site does this out of the box - so we'd need to
create site from scratch.

All the best,

Jonathan

[1] http://appcircus.com/