[okfn-help] WDMMG / OpenSpending workshop pre-OKCon

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Thu May 5 09:06:50 BST 2011

Hi all,

On May 4, 2011, at 2:20 PM, Lucy Chambers wrote:

>>> I think it is the replacement:
>>> @ Daniel - can you confirm?
>>
>> I can not confirm. The "hackday" so far has just an idea: To use these days to bring people together to hack on something interesting, that could be scraping local data from berlin, building new apps or hack on ckan or open spending: Its totally open to the people (e.g. us) to decide. So far I have send mail to people from mozilla drumbeat and RHoK and have talked with some local people if they where interested in doing some thing like a hackday.
>>
>> So far nothing decided and no clear plans made.
>>
>> So I am very happy to see workshops evolving the days before OKCon - i am not sure if this relates to any possible hackday. I think its worth to follow this up.
>
> Ok, so we need to make some decisions:
>
> I propose organising the one day workshop which Friedrich is proposing
> essentially as a way of bringing non-hackers into the workshop. If we
> manage to organise the hackdays as well, that is a bonus, and as
> Friedrich is already based in Berlin, it shouldn't be too much of a
> problem to at least have the workshop leader there. We could always
> make the last day of the hackweek the workshop, so people can roadtest
> what they have built and come directly into contact with the people
> who will be using their creations?

Ok, lets do this.

> There may be a CKAN-dev workshop on the 28th, does that pose any
> problems Friedrich? Are you going to have to be in two places at once?

I wouldn't do them on the same day, the target groups (both hacker and non-hacker overlap) and it would be very nice to have either team see some of what the other does. So how about the 28th for OpenSpending and the 29th for CKAN?

> @Friedrich - can you and I brainstorm a programme. Based on the
> presumption that we are working on a one day workshop on the 29th.
> http://wdmmg.okfnpad.org/workshop-programme

I'll add some bullet points but it'd also be interesting to make a quick list of people to invite (aside from a general invitation) so we know who we'll roughly be talking to.

> @Daniel - can you get back in touch with mozilla drumbeat, RHoK the
> local people to see if there would be any interest specifically in the
> hackday if we give them concrete dates based on the answers we get to
> the above? We can then judge whether it is worthwhile doing the
> hackday. Feel free to add anyone else you think might be relevant.
>
> Also, how should people register their interest in getting involved
> (specifically in the workshop) - should I create a Google form?

Jonathan has been using a lot of eventbrite, that seems to work quite well and offers some nice features. What do you think?

- Friedrich