[okfn-help] Can now alias wordpress subsites of okfn.org to any domain

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Dec 6 18:01:05 GMT 2010

On 6 December 2010 13:33, Adam McGreggor <adam at amyl.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 01:24:51PM +0000, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>> You can now ,ap wordpress multisite subdomains of okfn.org to full
>> domains (http://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/tasks/ticket/551 is done!)
>>
>> You can configure this in a subsites tools -> domain mapping section
>> in the wp-admin.
>>
>> NB: will also need to update okfn.org apache2 file with relevant
>> server alias and obviously configure dns.
>
> ServerAlias can accept a wildcard for its value.

Yes indeed, and we're already using it for all the *.okfn.org subdomains ;)

The issue here is that we are adding ServerAlias for domains that are
*not* subdomains e.g. http://opendatamanual.org (i.e. full domain). In
this case we need to add the domain (unless we want todo ServerAlias *
which runs the problem of grabbing other unintended domains on that
machine -- but a possibility)

> It's moderately trivial say, to set-up foo.mu.example.org, and use
> re-writes to glob mu. out, (yielding foo.example.org) in Apache.
>
> Some sikkos (;)) might even progmatically update DNS from entries in
> the wordpress database, to reduce the manual step...

Yes, we should automate a bunch of dns stuff. We use everydns and could use:

<http://hostingfu.com/article/everydns-python-api-and-command-shell>
<http://svn.fucoder.com/fucoder/pyeverydns/everydnscmd.py>

Rufus