[okfn-help] Help with website administration

elf Pavlik perpetual-tripper at wwelves.org
Wed Aug 3 15:44:51 UTC 2011

Hello Friends,

Earlier today Rufus mentioned to me on irc:
"08:37 <@rgrp> we wanted to invite you to be our official 'webmin' ..."

I've promised to write an email later describing what I can offer my help with and what not. So here it comes =)

First of all I would like to express my appreciation for your trust to offer me responsibilities related to OKFN website(s). As I have offered my help after OKCon, and so far slowly tried to help out with small task, I definitely would like to start contributing more! At the same time I would like to share with you certain limitations to the amount of time I can dedicate to this project and also what kind of support I would like to offer.

Recently list of projects I get involved with grows quite rapidly, and actually I really want to focus on the space between projects, interoperability of platforms they use and collaboration among autonomous peers. So I have no intention to narrowing my focus to any particular project/network. In practice it means that I don't see myself as candidate for the 'webmin' but rather an active participant of 'webministration' crew, and I look forward to work closer with people already contributing and help others people enthusiastic about this project to contribute.

Lately I've started working more with people from 'Federated Social Web' working group and learn more about 'Semantic Social Web', eventually to use those technologies to improve interproject collaboration. I feel very enthusiastic about those technologies and you can expect me to start suggesting step by step enabling them in the platform of OKFN online community.

I would also like to offer whenever I can, help with skill sharing and improving technical potential of everyone contributing to the project, including myself learning more of course. In general I like to help in a way which over time eliminates need of my help, I talk about situations when person have time and willingness to do something oneself but just lacks technical capacity. Since I believe many of you have more experience and skills than me with lots of topics, and hope you will approach work with me in the same way.

Also on a practical side I stay online very often and keep an eye on our irc channel, whenever someone needs help and I can, most of the time I just do =)

Let's talk little more about our further collaboration to get better understanding among us, I will also pop up in Berlin's OKFN HQ in next days an maybe meet some of you around CCC camp... will start a separate thread on it...

Feeling glad to share some vision with all of you and work together on helping to manifest it!
=)
elf Pavlik