[okfn-help] Wiki weeding report

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Aug 10 09:40:44 UTC 2011

On 10 August 2011 09:50, Tim McNamara <tim.mcnamara at okfn.org> wrote:
> I've just mowed the lawns of the wiki. (Metaphor dragging on?)
>
> Here's a brief notice of what's changed:
>

> ## Blocked users
>
> - http://wiki.okfn.org/Special:Contributions/PeterAllen

If I can be bothered I'm blocking every user who spams something. We
have now dramatically reduced spamming but still have issues with some
high google ranked pages (e.g. OpenEnvironmentalData -- no 1 on Google
for that term!). I have just now 'Protected' the page so now it cannot
be edited by new or unregistered users.

> ## Suspect new users (FYI only)
>
> http://wiki.okfn.org/User:RHallJamesky
> http://wiki.okfn.org/User:XEthanaelMorrisonmq
>

> ## Pages flagged for deletion
>
> See http://wiki.okfn.org/Category:Flagged_for_deletion.

Great stuff. These all look good except for:
<http://wiki.okfn.org/Wg/science/1> which is genuine page (see my
edits on it originally). Check check history before marking for
deletion (if you don't already!).

Also is it worth investigating purging permanently for some of these?
I know Stefano worked out how to do this after a spam attack on
wiki.ckan.net.

> I'll delete these pages from the wiki once I figure out where the button is.

To right of star button in page menu is down arrow with extra action
including delete, move and protect.

> ## Other
>
> Our help page now refers to http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing
> Very useful to find junk pages => http://wiki.okfn.org/Special:ShortPages