[okfn-help] licences types

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Mon May 16 11:11:16 UTC 2011

Hi Matej,

I'm Cc'ing OKFN-Help to ensure that I have my facts correct on this one.

Both Creative Commons and the OKF now have licenses covering data but
this was not always the case. Creative Commons original focus was
'content' rather than 'data' and data differs from content in terms of
Intellectual Property Law. Now, from the OKF side, we put emphasis
only on the need to license the data, without stressing one or the
other as being preferable.

Some places, including many government databases, license their data
with our license, others prefer the CC one - but I don't think you
would be disadvantaged either way!

Hopefully this entry from the OpenDataCommons FAQ may help:
http://www.opendatacommons.org/faq/licenses/#why-not-use-a-creative-commons-or-freeopen-source-software-license-for-databases.

I hope that helps, please feel free to contact me again if you have
further questions!

Lucy

--
Lucy Chambers