[okfn-help] Open Data Manual - conventions to follow, suggestions welcome

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Mon May 23 09:25:37 UTC 2011

On 21 May 2011 10:34, Tim McNamara <paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi all, I would like to follow the following conventions for the manual:
>  - data are, rather than data is

"Guardian style guru David Marsh ... says:
It's like agenda, a Latin plural that is now almost universally used
as a singular. Technically the singular is datum/agendum, but we feel
it sounds increasingly hyper-correct, old-fashioned and pompous to say
"the data are".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/jul/16/data-plural-singular

>  - en_GB spelling

As a Wikipedian recently told me, the US/UK spellings account for a
majority of the edit wars there and it's not productive. I'd be
tempted to cede that the US spellings have more weight
internationally. But it's an OKF style decision really.

Dave