[OKFN-IN] Fwd: [sparc-oaforum] How Open Is It? - Request for Public Comment on Draft Document

Sridhar Gutam gutam2000 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 04:48:02 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrea Higginbotham <andrea at arl.org>
Date: 25 September 2012 21:24
Subject: [sparc-oaforum] How Open Is It? - Request for Public Comment on
Draft Document
To: sparc-oaforum at arl.org

Not all Open Access is created equal. To move beyond the seemingly simple
question of “Is it Open Access?” PLoS, SPARC and OASPA have collaborated to
develop a resource called “HowOpenIsIt?” This resource identifies the core
components of open access (OA) and how they are implemented across the
spectrum between "Open Access" and "Closed Access". We recognize there are
philosophical disagreements regarding OA and this resource will not resolve
those differences.

We are seeking input on the accuracy and completeness of how OA is defined
in this guide. Download the open review draft and provide feedback below in
the comment form on SPARC's website: http://bit.ly/Qi3NVP. In its final
form, this guide will provide an easily understandable, comprehensive, and
quantifiable resource to help authors make informed decisions on where to
publish based on publisher policies.

With this guide we aim to provide greater clarity regarding its definition
and components. All suggestions will be considered and a final version will
be released during Open Access Week (October 22 -28, 2012). The comment
period will close on Monday, October 8, at 5:00pm (EST).

All best,

Andrea

Andrea Brusca Higginbotham
Communications Manager, SPARC