[OKFN-IN] Community-run open data portal for Chennai

Satyarupa Shekhar satyarupa.shekhar at ifmr.ac.in
Wed Feb 6 04:12:24 UTC 2013

Dear all,

I work with Transparent Chennai <http://www.transparentchennai.com>, an
action-research group that works to improve government accountability.

I am keen to create an open data portal for the city of Chennai, similar to
other community-run open data sites. The portal would be where data on
civic services would be published by the government. Additionally, it would
allow these services to be rated by local residents. It would also function
as a repository of RTI applications and responses so that this can be
shared publicly, so eliminating the cost of a government department
providing it more than once.

Some unelected officials in the Corporation of Chennai understand the
usefulness of such a portal but asmit that they do not have the technical
capacity to create one. Also, the NIC rules prevent them from allowing
non-permanent staff to create an official site. However, they are willing
to share data to create such a portal - which would otherwise take us
months to obtain via RTI requests.

I am looking for open data portal enthusiasts who are familiar with CKAN
and can help me create an OpenChennai portal.

Best regards,
Satyarupa

--
Satyarupa Shekhar