[OKFN-IN] Fwd: Online Open Access Debates

sumandro sumandro at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 18:36:53 UTC 2013

fyi.

sumandro
ajantriks.net

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: The African Commons Project <rosanne at africancommons.org>
Date: Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Subject: Online Open Access Debates
To: "mail at ajantriks.net" <mail at ajantriks.net>

**
       Web Version<http://institutefordevelopmentstudies.createsend1.com/t/r-e-ukpitl-jjitoutp-b/>

Update preferences<http://institutefordevelopmentstudies.updatemyprofile.com/r-ukpitl-3CA1E908-jjitoutp-n>

      [image: Facebook
icon]<http://institutefordevelopmentstudies.createsend1.com/t/r-fb-ukpitl-jjitoutp-x/>
Like<http://institutefordevelopmentstudies.createsend1.com/t/r-fb-ukpitl-jjitoutp-m/>
 [image: Twitter
icon]<http://institutefordevelopmentstudies.createsend1.com/t/r-tw-ukpitl-jjitoutp-c/>
Tweet<http://institutefordevelopmentstudies.createsend1.com/t/r-tw-ukpitl-jjitoutp-q/>
 [image: Forward
icon]<http://institutefordevelopmentstudies.forwardtomyfriend.com/r-jjitoutp-3CA1E908-ukpitl-l-a>
Forward<http://institutefordevelopmentstudies.forwardtomyfriend.com/r-jjitoutp-3CA1E908-ukpitl-l-f>

WE'RE TALKING ABOUT ...

*Is Open Access the weak link in the open
movement?<#13ccf3ebf9e92047_toc_item_0>
*

*It is time to envision a new, contemporary OA agenda? And if so, what
would this look like? <#13ccf3ebf9e92047_toc_item_1>*

*Tweeting it. Give an opinion in 140 characters or
less!<#13ccf3ebf9e92047_toc_item_2>
*
     THE OPEN ACCESS DEBATES PARTNERS

  [image: The Institute for Development
Studies]<http://institutefordevelopmentstudies.createsend1.com/t/r-l-ukpitl-jjitoutp-e/>

  [image: Coordinating partner, The African Commons Project
(TACP)]<http://institutefordevelopmentstudies.createsend1.com/t/r-l-ukpitl-jjitoutp-s/>

  [image: The Center for Internet &
Society]<http://institutefordevelopmentstudies.createsend1.com/t/r-l-ukpitl-jjitoutp-g/>

The Gray Area blog (Eve
Gray)<http://institutefordevelopmentstudies.createsend1.com/t/r-l-ukpitl-jjitoutp-w/>

Is Open Access the weak link in the open movement?

Open Access (OA) has become an accepted norm for journal-based research
publications around the world, led by countries such as the United
Kingdom.  Yet has the process of academic publishing embraced the same
levels of openness prevalent in other communities, such as Open Data and
Open Educational Resources?

A criticism
<http://institutefordevelopmentstudies.createsend1.com/t/r-l-ukpitl-jjitoutp-yd/>levelled
against OA is its tendency to face inwards, rather than embracing inclusion
from groups beyond academia.   This is not only true of the self-analysis
process, but also within the narrow focus on OA in terms of journals versus
other - or alternative - platforms and instruments.  Another criticism is
the lack of open and critical self-reflection.  And a lack of clear
definition – upheld in practice – is yet a further criticism.

It is time to envision a new, contemporary OA agenda? And if so, what would
this look like?
 <http://institutefordevelopmentstudies.createsend1.com/t/r-l-ukpitl-jjitoutp-yh/>

Join the online discussion now as we debate the pitfalls and progress of
OA.  The discussion is hosted on the WSIS Knowledge Communities platform
here<http://institutefordevelopmentstudies.createsend1.com/t/r-l-ukpitl-jjitoutp-yk/>.
The discussion is public but in order to contribute, please note that you
will have to register on the platform.

This discussion follows on from our previous discussion, "Is Open Access
only for rich countries?"<http://institutefordevelopmentstudies.createsend1.com/t/r-l-ukpitl-jjitoutp-yu/>
This was a great debate, and we look forward to your contribution!

Tweeting it. Give an opinion in 140 characters or less!

For those avid tweeters out there, join us in a supporting live discussion
which will take place on *Thursday, 14 February at 2 pm GMT +2*.

Use the hashtag *#developOA* and give an opinion in 140 characters or less!