[OKFN-IN] Fwd: Congratulations to the Panton Fellows 2013-2014 - Open Knowledge Foundation Blog

Sridhar Gutam gutam2000 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 13:53:52 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Open Knowledge Foundation Blog" <noreply+feedproxy at google.com>
Date: Nov 26, 2014 6:45 PM
Subject: Congratulations to the Panton Fellows 2013-2014 - Open Knowledge
Foundation Blog
To: <gutam2000 at gmail.com>

    Congratulations to the Panton Fellows 2013-2014 - Open Knowledge
Foundation Blog <http://blog.okfn.org>   [image: Link to Open Knowledge
Foundation Blog] <http://blog.okfn.org>
------------------------------

Congratulations to the Panton Fellows 2013-2014
<http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/okfn/~3/hqoEoT5Cs9E/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email>

Samuel Moore <http://scholarlyskywritings.wordpress.com/>, Rosie Graves
<https://twitter.com/Rosie_Graves> and Peter Kraker
<https://twitter.com/peterkraker> are the 2013-2014 Open Knowledge Panton
Fellows - tasked with experimenting, exploring and promoting open practises
through their research over the last twelve months. They just posted their
final reports so we'd like to heartily congratulate them on an excellent
job and summarise their highlights for the Open Knowledge community.

Over the last two years the Panton Fellowships
<http://pantonprinciples.org/panton-fellowships/> have supported five early
career researchers to further the aims of the Panton Principles for Open
Data in Science <http://pantonprinciples.org/> alongside their day to day
research. The provision of additional funding goes some way towards this
aim, but a key benefit of the programme is boosting the visibility of the
Fellow's work within the open community and introducing them to like-minded
researchers and others within the Open Knowledge network.
[image: On stage at the Open Science Panel Vienna (Photo by
FWF/APA-Fotoservice/Thomas Preiss)]
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T5HHJTF99s>

On stage at the Open Science Panel Vienna (Photo by
FWF/APA-Fotoservice/Thomas Preiss)

*Peter Kraker* (full report <http://science.okblogfarm.org/?p=1913>) is a
postdoctoral researcher at the Know-Centre in Graz and focused his
fellowship work on two facets: open and transparent altmetrics and the
promotion of open science in Austria and beyond. During his Felowship Peter
released the open source visualization Head Start
<http://github.com/pkraker/Headstart>, which gives scholars an overview of
a research field based on relational information derived from altmetrics.
Head Start continues to grow in functionality, has been incorporated into Open
Knowledge Labs <http://okfnlabs.org/projects/headstart/> and is soon to be
made available on a dedicated website funded by the fellowship.

Peter's ultimate goal is to have an environment where everybody can create
their own maps based on open knowledge and share them with the world. You
are encouraged to contribute! In addition Peter has been highly active
promoting open science, open access, altmetrics and reproducibility in
Austria and beyond through events, presentations and prolific blogging,
resulting in some great discussions generated on social media. He has also
produced a German summary
<http://openscienceasap.org/stream/category/social/monthly-sum-up/> of open
science activities every month and is currently involved in kick-starting a
German-speaking open science group through the Austrian and German Open
Knowledge local groups.

Rosie with an air quality monitor

*Rosie Graves * (full report
<http://science.okblogfarm.org/2014/11/11/panton-fellowship-end-of-year-post/>)
is a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Leicester and used her
fellowship to develop an air quality sensing project in a primary school.
This wasn't always an easy ride, the sensor was successfully installed and
an enthusiastic set of schoolhildren
<http://science.okfn.org/2014/06/10/recruiting-scientists> were on board,
but a technical issue meant that data collection was cut short, so Rosie
plans to resume in the New Year. Further collaborations on crowdsourcing
and school involvement in atmospheric science were even more successful,
including a pilot rain gauge measurement project
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wea.2244/pdf> and development
of a cheap, open source air quality sensor which is sure to be of interest
to other scientists around the Open Knowledge network and beyond. Rosie has
enjoyed her Panton Fellowship year and was grateful for the support to
pursue outreach and educational work:

"This fellowship has been a great opportunity for me to kick start a
citizen science project ... It also allowed me to attend conferences to
discuss open data in air quality which received positive feedback from many
colleagues."

 *Samuel Moore *(full report <http://science.okblogfarm.org/?p=1945>) is a
doctoral researcher in the Centre for e-Research at King's College London
and successfully commissioned, crowdfunded and (nearly) published an open
access book on open research data during his Panton Year: Issues in Open
Research Data <https://unglue.it/work/140086/>. The book is still in
production but publication is due during November and we encourage everyone
to take a look. This was a step towards addressing Sam's assessment of the
nascent state of open data in the humanities:

"The crucial thing now is to continue to reach out to the average
researcher, highlighting the benefits that open data offers and ensuring
that there is a stock of accessible resources offering practical advice to
researchers on how to share their data."

Another initiative Sam initiated during the fellowship was establishing the
forthcoming Journal of Open Humanities Data with Ubiquity Press
<http://www.ubiquitypress.com/>, which aims to incentivise data sharing
through publication credit, which in turn makes data citable through usual
academic paper citation practices. Ultimately the journal will help
researchers share their data, recommending repositories and best practices
in the field, and will also help them track the impact of their data
through citations and altmetrics.

We believe it is vital to provide early career researchers with support to
try new open approaches to scholarship and hope other organisations will
take similar concrete steps to demonstrate the benefits and challenges of
open science through positive action.

* Finally, we'd like to thank the Computer and Communications Industry
Association (CCIA <https://www.ccianet.org/>) for their generosity in
funding the 2013-14 Panton Fellowships. *

*This blog post a cross-post from the Open Science blog, see the original
here
<http://science.okfn.org/2014/11/20/congratulations-to-the-panton-fellows-2013-2014/>.*

Code for Africa & Open Knowledge Launch Open Government Fellowship Pilot
Programme: Apply Today
<http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/okfn/~3/QRxQ8IfCTbE/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email>

Open Knowledge and Code for Africa launch pilot Open Government Fellowship
Programme. Apply to become a fellow today
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16keAH2ygafUN2jcIYm_k1agv6QIQCGfOJ_6oU46X1kg/viewform?usp=send_form>.
This blog announcement is available in French here
<https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/15VAdWYopIkiB3QjKwG4Q8D3joLFVCq_r2mjZT8ZWPa0/edit>
and Portuguese here
<https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/1xdeBHGicAzFvIrlqCjzWous3UsZXFkOpC0TRRAz2Rx4/edit#>.

[image: C4A_logo (1)]
<http://blog.okfn.org/files/2014/11/C4A_logo-1-e1416917107835.png> [image:
OpenKnowledge_LOGO_COLOUR_CMYK]
<http://blog.okfn.org/files/2014/11/OpenKnowledge_LOGO_COLOUR_CMYK-e1416917169844.jpg>

Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> and Code for Africa
<http://www.codeforafrica.org/> are pleased to announce the launch of our
pilot Open Government Fellowship programme. The six month programme seeks
to empower the next generation of leaders in field of open government.

*We are looking for candidates that fit the following profile:*

   - Currently engaged in the open government and/or related communities .
   We are looking to support individuals already actively participating in the
   open government community
   - Understands the role of civil society and citizen based organisations
   in bringing about positive change through advocacy and campaigning
   - Understands the role and importance of monitoring government
   commitments on open data as well as on other open government policy related
   issues
   - Has facilitation skills and enjoys community-building (both online and
   offline).
   - Is eager to learn from and be connected with an international
   community of open government experts, advocates and campaigners
   - Currently living and working in Africa. Due to limited resources and
   our desire to develop a focused and impactful pilot programme, we are
   limiting applications to those currently living and working in Africa. We
   hope to expand the programme to the rest of the world starting in 2015.

The primary objective of the Open Government Fellowship programme is to
identify, train and support the next generation of open government
advocates and community builders. As you will see in the selection
criteria, the most heavily weighted item is current engagement in the open
government movement at the local, national and/or international level.
Selected candidates will be part of a six-month fellowship pilot programme
where we expect you to work with us for an average of six days a month,
including attending online and offline trainings, organising events, and
being an active member of the Open Knowledge and Code for Africa
communities.

Fellows will be expected to produce tangible outcomes through during their
fellowship but what these outcomes are will be up to the fellows to
determine. In the application, we ask fellows to describe their vision for
their fellowship or, to put it another way, to lay out what they would like
to accomplish. We could imagine fellows working with a specific government
department or agency to make a key dataset available, used and useful by
the community or organising a series of events addressing a specific topic
or challenge citizens are currently facing. We do not wish to be
prescriptive, there are countless possibilities for outcomes for the
fellowship but successful candidates will demonstrate a vision that has
clear, tangible outcomes.

To support fellows in achieving these outcomes, all fellows will receive a
stipend of $1,000 per month in addition to a project grant of $3,000 to
spend over the course of your fellowship. Finally, a travel stipend is
available for each fellow for national and/or international travel related
to furthering the objective of their fellowship.

There are up to 3 fellowship positions open for the February to July 2015
pilot programme. Due to resourcing, we will only be accepting fellowship
applications from individuals living and working in Africa. Furthermore, in
order to ensure that we are able to provide fellows with strong local
support during the pilot phase, we will are targeting applicants from the
following countries where Code for Africa and/or Open Knowledge already
have existing networks: Angola, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya,
Morocco, Mozambique, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa,
Senegal, Tunisia, Tanzania, and Uganda. We are hoping to roll out the
programme in other regions in autumn 2015. If you are interested in the
fellowship but not currently located in one of the target countries, please
get in touch.

*Do you have questions? *See more about the Fellowship Programme here and
have a looks at this Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page
<https://okfn.org/get-involved/fellowships/open-government-fellowship/>. If
this doesn't answer your question, email us at Katelyn[dot]Rogers[at]
okfn.org

*Not sure if you fit the profile?* Drop us a line!

*Convinced?* Apply now to become a Open Government fellow
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16keAH2ygafUN2jcIYm_k1agv6QIQCGfOJ_6oU46X1kg/viewform?usp=send_form>.
If you would prefer to submit your application in French or Portuguese,
translations of the application form are available in French here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1YTPYIWUrnJcUUIbPs9rgDOFih09xNOw04u4YYUr6_j4/viewform?usp=send_form>
and in Portuguese here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1r4L-90VLUIrGXyWJicix-FDZsQ0ElAZtxvegmgcD3cg/viewform?usp=send_form>
.

The application will be open until the *15th of December 2014* and the
programme will start in February 2015. We are looking forward to hearing
from you!
   You are subscribed to email updates from Open Knowledge Foundation Blog
<http://blog.okfn.org>
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now
<https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailunsubscribe?k=HIgBhwugakJlTaeASKnPdqNs9wQ>
. Email delivery powered by Google  Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway,
Mountain View, CA 94043, United States